Sony HDCAM SR BCT-124SRL
- The most advanced metal particle tape in Sony's 1/2 broadcast family of professional tape products
- Metal particles 50% smaller than HDCAM tape with improved magnetic characteristics yielding: 2X the output (6-7dB), 2.7X the recording density of HDCAM tape, and 3.3X the density of D5-HD tape
- Tele-File label with IC memory built on cassette to capture content metadata
- Specially designed locking album case with improved tape protection characteristics
- By providing full bandwidth RGB, HDCAM SR helps bridge the gap between acquisition and Digital Intermediate workflows.
- HDCAM SR's ability to store RGB images in real time, cost effectively and in a timely manner, will lead to higher quality composite effects and film to tape archiving.
- The HDCAM SR contains metal particles that are approximately half the size of HDCAM allowing for a much higher density recording layer that provides an additional 6 dB of signal saturation.
- Along with the higher density recording, the smaller particles allow the cassettes to capture recording wavelength to 0.29um representing the highest performance of metal tape in the broadcast family.
- HDCAM SR has recording lengths up to 50 minutes for the small size cassette, and 155 minutes for the large cassette in 24P mode.
- HDCAM SR utilizes the 4:4:4 capture. At 24P it will facilitate the highest quality transfers to motion picture film and support enhanced blue/green screen compositing and the creation of contemporary special effects. Using 4:4:4 RGB HDCAM SR uses no chroma subsampling, but instead yields more of the full bandwidth of the HDSDI signal.
- Also called 124SR, formerly the BCT-124SRL/3 now the BCT-124SRL/4
HDCAM SR Recording Time Chart
The Reputation of HDCAM SR Cassettes
HDCAM SR tapes have the highest reputation in the technological world. Not only are they the preferred choice of Digital Betacam cameras, but they are also used for many high quality High Definition DV cameras. What are the advantages of HDCAM SR tapes? The first point worth mentioning is that this format is the least compressed format to offer 1920 x 1080 HD, capable of 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 recording. It also has 12 audio tracks that can bring the best in mixed audio, stereo and Dolby Surround Sound.
Additionally, HDCAM SR gives users a total data rate of over 800 megabits and also allows more capture for bandwidth on an HDSDI signal. MPEG-4 compression is considered among the best in the business because it preserves the quality of the footage even after decompression. Additionally, HDCAM SR tapes, available with Digital Betacam cameras or even Sony HDCAM camcorders, offer their own unique advantages. They are constructed using ceramic armor metal particles that allow for an optimal amount of output and a reduction of noise. The tapes are also built with durability in mind so that they can be stored for many years without damage or even taken outside for rough weather filming.
These are the same tapes used to film network dramas and wildlife nature shows. If you shoot footage on this type of format, using high quality HDCAM SR tapes with a state of the art HDCAM camera, you will see the results in splendid color and detail. This is the best way to make your projects look professional.
All of this superb quality certainly explains why HDCAM SR tapes are pricier than other DV cassette tapes. Some tapes can run over $200, especially if they hold two hours or more. Even a six-minute tape can cost you around $50. TapeOnline sells the highest quality DVCAM SR cassettes at the lowest price. It gets even cheaper when you buy in bulk.
For more information HDCAM SR check out our FAQ page .